Motorcycle Insurance in Iowa
From the Mississippi to the Missouri River, Iowa offers a perfect run for riders. But before embarking on your riding journey, you must consider motorcycle insurance because it’s mandatory and protects you financially when mishaps strike.
Ready to learn more about motorcycle insurance? Hang on as Heimgartner Insurance Inc. of Sioux City, IA sheds more light on motorcycle coverage.
Mandatory motorcycle insurance in Iowa
If you are parking or riding your bike on public roads, you are required to purchase the below coverages by the state:
- Bodily liability insurance of $25,000 per person and $40,000 for an accident involving several people
- Property damage liability of at least $15,000
As you can see, the above limits are pretty low. They are likely to expose you if involved in a severe accident. That said, we usually advise riders to consider increasing limits and adding other coverages for well-rounded protection.
Optional motorcycle insurance coverages
If you are looking for more protection, please consider the below motorcycle insurance coverages:
- Collision coverage: This insurance covers your bike if you are involved in a collision with another motorist or stationary object. Without it, you can face hefty repair bills or lose your bike entirely if the damages are beyond repair.
- Comprehensive coverage: This insurance plan should cover you if your bike is lost or damaged by a covered non-collision peril. It protects against risks like theft, falling objects, fire, vandalism, and certain natural disasters.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: At any time, about 9.7% of Iowa motorists don’t have insurance. That said, there is a likelihood that you will collide with a motorist with no insurance, leaving you with uncovered damages and losses. Luckily, with uninsured motorist coverage, hit-and-run scenarios and collisions with uninsured drivers are well covered.
- Medical payments: This insurance covers medical costs for you and your passengers following a motorcycle accident.
- Roadside assistance: This insurance policy covers you when your bike stalls away from home. It provides towing, punctures repair, and other minor roadside repairs when your bike breaks down miles away.
Are you shopping for motorcycle insurance in Iowa? Look no further than Heimgartner Insurance Inc. in Sioux City, IA.