Click to Call

Heimgartner Insurance Inc.

4708 Morningside Ave
Sioux City, IA 51106

Heimgartner Insurance Inc. Blog

How much auto insurance do I need? I recently paid off my late model car.

Many lenders require drivers to purchase full coverage auto insurance while financing a car. This coverage ensures that the lender is protected should anything happen to the car before it’s paid in full. However, once the driver has paid his or her auto loan in full, they are free to carry the required state minimum auto liability coverage and nothing more. Our Heimgartner Insurance Inc. team is committed to helping Sioux City, IA drivers understand different insurance options.

What is considered full coverage auto insurance?

Full coverage auto insurance includes liability, collision, and comprehensive coverage. Each form of coverage is designed to fit specific situations and circumstances that a driver might experience. For example, auto liability coverage is designed to pay for any property damage or injuries you may cause to others while driving. There are coverage limits, however. The coverage will pay for any damage or injuries up to the specified limits set by the insurance policy. Comprehensive and collision coverage will pay for the repair of your car if it’s damaged in an accident, as well as the repair of your car for any damage incurred as a result of some natural disasters and other non-moving accidents, theft, and vandalism. 

How much auto insurance do I need? I recently paid off my late-model car.

It may be a good idea to continue to carry full auto insurance if you own a late-model car. Although the lender no longer requires full auto insurance coverage once your loan has been paid off, any damage your car sustains would probably be difficult to pay for out of pocket. Plus, if you own a late-model car, your car’s value is probably more than your insurance premium. This means that if you were in an accident, your car would be eligible for repair if you had the proper coverage because its value still exceeds the premium.

If you have questions regarding auto insurance coverage, call us at Heimgartner Insurance Inc. in Sioux City, IA. We’d be happy to help you explore your options. 

What’s the Difference Between Collision and Comprehensive Auto Insurance?

If you’re not sure what the difference is between comprehensive and collision car insurance, don’t feel bad. Many people get these two types of coverage confused. While nearly every state requires liability insurance, comprehensive and collision are optional. The vast majority of drivers include this coverage, particularly for newer vehicles.

Our team at Heimgartner Insurance Inc, serving customers in Sioux City, IA, has put together this quick guide to help you better understand your auto insurance options.

What’s Collision Insurance, Anyway?

Collision coverage pays for damage that occurs when you run into various objects, such as guard rails, mailboxes, and telephone poles. This insurance reimburses you for repairs caused by covered events. It may also include coverage on damages due to potholes and flipping your vehicle.

Tell Me About Comprehensive Coverage

If you want protection for non-collision events, add comprehensive coverage to your policy. Our agents can help you choose a policy that reimburses you in case you hit a deer, your car catches fire, or your vehicle becomes mired in a riot or protest. Your insurance company may also pay for damages to your car in the event of a broken windshield or airbag theft.

It’s important to get advice from licensed insurance agents who have your best interests at heart. Do you still have questions? Let us help you review your current policy for gaps that we can address.

Get Car Insurance That Makes Sense for You

Keep in mind that your lender may require both types of insurance as a condition of the loan. Feel free to make an appointment at our office to discuss affordable comprehensive and collision coverage for your vehicles. Contact Heimgartner Insurance Inc to make an appointment for a free quote on car insurance in Sioux City, IA.

What every driver should know about auto insurance

If you are like most people, you probably don’t think a lot about your auto insurance except when it renews or when you need to use it. But, you don’t want to find out when you are in an accident that you don’t have the right coverage. At Heimgartner Insurance Inc in Sioux City, IA, we make it our responsibility to get to know you and your auto insurance needs. 

Auto Insurance: What You Need To Know


Your auto insurance has a deductible. You can choose the amount of your deductible, usually either $500 or $1000, depending on what you would be comfortable paying out of pocket. But keep in mind that the lower the deductible the higher the premium. It is a gamble. Will it benefit you more to pay less every year or pay less if you have an accident? 

Liability Coverage

A basic auto insurance policy has a state-mandated amount of liability coverage. In Iowa, it is 20/40/15. That means that for one person injured in an accident you are responsible for, $20,000 will be paid for bodily injuries and $40,000 for all injuries, with $15,000 for property damage. This is pretty basic when considering what a hospital stay can cost and could leave you with many out-of-pocket expenses. 

You can increase the amount of coverage you have, and you can also get an umbrella insurance policy to give you even more protection. 

Read your policy

Read the declaration page of your auto insurance policy. You need to know if you have full glass coverage and rental car coverage. Both of these are valuable, and you may or may not have them depending on your carrier. 

Get Auto Insurance Today

Contact Heimgartner Insurance Inc in Sioux City, IA for all your insurance needs. 

Auto insurance FAQs

Car insurance is something that is mandated by almost every state. The mandated insurance is liability coverage which is to protect other people from an accident you might cause. It covers damage to the vehicle but also medical care if it is needed. At Heimgartner Insurance Inc in Sioux City, IA, we are a local independent agency owned by locals. We are your neighbors and we want to make sure you have the right coverage. 

What coverage is required in Iowa?

In Iowa, you need to have liability coverage. The required amount is 20/40/15. That is $20,000  bodily injury for the first person injured in an accident you caused and a total of $40,000 for the complete accident. $15,000 is for damage to the property of the other person. 

Is basic coverage enough?

It may not be enough for several reasons. First, $20,000 is not much for bodily injuries and $15,000 is not going to pay for a lot of vehicle repairs. Beyond that, pain and suffering have to be taken into account. If you want to be able to keep your assets, you should consider a higher amount than basic. Also, basic coverage does nothing for your vehicle.  If you want to protect your vehicle, you need comprehensive and collision coverage. 

Differences between collision and comprehensive coverage?

Collision coverage protects your vehicle in an accident where you are at fault or are the victim of a hit and run.  Comprehensive is non-collision coverage. Many other things can damage your vehicle. It can be a weather event like a strong wind or hail. It could be flooding or it could be theft or vandalism. If a deer runs into or in front of your car, comprehensive covers that. 

Contact Heimgartner Insurance Inc in Sioux City, IA if you want to get a personalized insurance plan.

Partner Carriers

  • Aetna
  • Allstate
  • American Modern
  • Condon & Skelly
  • Encompass
  • Farmers Mutual Hail
  • Foremost
  • Grinnell Mutual
  • Humana
  • Liberty Mutual
  • MetLife
  • Mutual of Omaha
  • Progressive
  • Silver Scripts
  • Travelers
  • WellCare