Umbrella insurance policies are increasing in popularity because they protect what your regular home or auto insurance policies might not. Here are five fast facts you should know about umbrella policies before deciding if one is right for you.
1. Umbrella Insurance Provides Additional Liability Coverage
Most people already have some sort of liability insurance to cover the cost of injuring another person or damage to someone else’s property. But personal umbrella liability policies can increase your protection and provide additional coverage for extraordinary situations such as:
• A legal judgment resulting from any copyright, libel, or slander suit.
• Lawsuits resulting from allegations of professional negligence such as malpractice or errors and omissions allegations against an attorney or accountant.
2. Umbrella Policies Do Not Stand Alone
Umbrella insurance is not designed to act as your primary policy. Instead, it supplements the liability coverage in your homeowners and auto policies. Umbrella insurance only kicks in when you exceed the limits of an underlying policy.
3. Umbrella Coverage May Protect You Against Lawsuits
In some cases, umbrella insurance can protect you against a lawsuit even when your primary policy won’t. For example, if you are accused of libel, slander, or copyright infringement, umbrella insurance may protect you against the accusation even if your primary policy doesn’t.
4. Umbrella Policies Typically Cover Additional Expenses
If you’re sued, your primary insurance will pay the damages and then add any remaining expenses such as legal fees to what you owe. An umbrella policy can pick up where your standard policies leave off and pay for these additional expenses.
5. Umbrella Insurance Offers Broad Protection
Umbrella insurance provides broader protection than your home and auto policies. That’s because most basic policies are written with the state’s minimum liability requirements in mind, so they may offer less protection than you need. An umbrella policy can provide extra coverage for unique situations for which your regular policies don’t provide any.
Umbrella policies can protect you financially in the event of a lawsuit by providing extra liability coverage. If you’re looking to purchase an umbrella policy in Sioux City, IA, contact Heimgartner Insurance Inc and speak with one of our insurance professionals today.